Scan Flow Trainer
Taking scan flows out of the Sim
What are scan flows?
During a typical flight, a commercial airliner will go through 10 different flight phases; from start up, taxi and take-off through approach, landing and shutdown. Each of these phases requires the pilots to configure the aircraft in a specific way. As there are in excess of 200 buttons and switches in a modern airline flightdeck, pilots remember distinct patterns of checks and actions that take their hands and eyes around the cockpit in a logical path to set up the aircraft for each phase of flight. These scan flows require a great deal of practice to commit to memory and are backed up by checklists with memorised responses.
How are Scan Flows normally learnt?
Cardboard cut outs of the aircraft allow new pilots to learn the scan flow patterns in a static environment without feedback. Full scan flow skills with dynamic responses from the aircraft are only learnt during Fixed Base and Full Flight Simulator sessions. Current Airbus pilots carry out these scan flows during routine flights, but company-wide amendments to scan flow procedures are normally distributed as paper based descriptions with no actual check of understanding. Pilots are assessed on their scan flows during their annual route check and simulator checks where they are assessed by a Training Captain.
Why use our Scan Flow Trainer?
Our Scan Flow Trainer allow pilots to develop, practice and maintain the correct scan flows in an interactive environment at their own pace, away from the simulator and aircraft. In addition, changes to scan flow procedures and checklists can be clearly illustrated, easily distributed and practiced through a single portal.
Our Scan Flow Trainer is available as a custom-made solution for your Airbus conversion courses (ab-initio pilots) and for recurrent training (experienced Airbus pilots).
Available for A320 family, A330, A340.
- Reduction in Full Flight Simulator time
- Reduction in associated training costs (Training Captain time, accommodation, transport, expenses etc)
- Potential reduction in insurance premiums due to reduced training risk and increased success rates
- Increase in trainee pilot throughout and/or reduction in training costs
- Bespoke solution; tailor-made to each client's SOPs and Airbus fleet
- Instantaneous updates across entire training network
- No scan flow training schedule required and no limit to simultaneous users
- Company wide scan flow training requirements in one solution
- Develop and maintain scan flows with zero pressure outside of the aircraft and away from the normal recurrent/conversion course simulator schedule
- Your computer becomes a scan flow training platform on demand, at any time, in any location
- Perfect your SOPs with bespoke Tutorials* (*specific solutions only)
- CDROM*, Intranet or Internet Delivery (*specific solutions only)
- No maintenance issues and virtually zero "down-time"
- No requirement for a dedicated training facility or specialised equipment
- Easy and quick to set up
Minimum system requirements:
PC: Pentium III 800MHz, 256Mb RAM, Internet Connection - Dial-up or Broadband (except for CDROM solutions), single monitor, latest Adobe Flash and Shockwave Players (downloaded free from the adobe.com website)
Apple Mac: PowerPC Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger or Higher, 256Mb RAM, Internet Connection - Dial-up or Broadband (except for CDROM solutions), latest Adobe Flash and Shockwave Players (downloaded free from the adobe.com website)